Insufficient physical activity is recognized as one of the leading risk factors of death worldwide. A Lancet Global Health report states that in 2016, approximately 27.5% of adults do not exercise. The solution to help save millions of lives is simple: a few minutes a day of physical effort can change, or even save lives. We are offering you those minutes.
When it all started back in 2013, our goal was to help MMA fighters get in better shape. But as our training app started to grow and gain mass appeal, we evolved the app to help improve the lives of people of all ages and fitness levels.
Since then more than 5 million workouts have been completed. With all this data, we began to recognize patterns that allowed us to adapt our training plans and improve our workouts. But we wanted an even more individualized approach to help you reach your goals. That’s when we decided to build an AI technology that creates a completely customized training experience, unique to your needs and fitness level.
Overview of the SpartanApps Coach
The SpartanApps Coach is an AI Personal Trainer that designs personalized fitness plans just for you. The algorithm is a product of data from 5 million workouts and 7 years of hard work.
Every plan created by the SpartanApps Coach has balance. What do we mean by that?
The body is one large kinetic chain; where bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments are all interconnected and dependent upon each other. The AI Coach designs training plans that help maintain your muscle balance which not only has aesthetic appeal, but also supports the proper balance in your kinetic chain for good health and injury prevention.
The AI Coach will ask you a few specific questions, and as you progress through your workouts, it learns from your data and continuously optimizes your training plans so that you achieve optimal results.
The SpartanApps Coach currently supports the following fitness goals:
- Burning Fat
- Building Muscle
- Building Strength
- Building Endurance
Each training plan lasts for 21 days. As a subscriber to the app, you will receive unlimited access to the SpartanApps Coach, and you will have the ability to modify your goals after each 21 day plan if you wish.
One key element of optimizing your training plans is the “age” of your body. How do we determine your body’s “age?” We simply combine your actual age with your current fitness level, and fine-tune this calculation as we collect more of your workout data.
Studies show that as the body ages, muscle stem cell counts tend to decrease, protein turnover tends to decline, and hormones start to deregulate.
Physical activity can promote mitochondrial health, increase protein turnover, restore the level of signaling occurring in molecules involving muscle function, and generally slow this this aging process.
In short, exercise makes your body younger and healthier.
We have trained the AI Coach to generate exercises which are within your fitness range, help reduce the risk of injury, and are part of training routines that are fun and easy to follow.
How do we Analyze Your Data?
In order to generate your personalized training plans we need the following information from you:
- Gender – With this information the SpartanApps Coach will adapt the number of repetitions, types of exercises, and durations. We will also calibrate the proper balance between upper body and lower body training. In general, women tend to have stronger legs, whereas men tend to have stronger arms, all else equal. We take this information into consideration as well as other data points when customizing your plan.
- Fitness Goals – Our exercises are organized into four broad categories – aerobic, mass building, strength building, and endurance building. Depending on your goal, the AI Coach will emphasize certain exercise types in your training routines. For example, if your goal is to burn fat, the AI Coach will place a heavier emphasis on aerobic exercises.
- Age – as previously discussed, age plays a significant role in certain aspects of the training plan design, such as estimating your fitness level.
- Height and Weight – With this data, the AI Coach can estimate your BMI, which helps fine-tune our determination of your fitness level.
- Fitness Level – The SpartanApps Coach combines your answer to this question with your age, and your height and weight to determine a baseline fitness level. The AI Coach continuously adjusts your fitness level as it analyzes your workout data.
- Equipment Available – Based on the equipment that you have access to, the AI Coach will design programs that meet your specific circumstances.
The AI Coach utilizes all of these parameters to design your personalized training plans, analyze your workout data, and continuously improve your level of customization.
Your brain can be your biggest enemy when it comes to achieving your goals, because there is a natural tendency to “stay in your comfort zone.” The AI Coach will create workouts that challenge you and push you out of your comfort zone, but not so much to where you can’t complete the workout. Most of your gains come from the few seconds where your body is near its limits, so this provides the framework to maximize your results and build the confidence you need to keep moving forward.
Feedback from the AI Coach
In order to get the best results, the SpartanApps Coach needs to understand how you feel after each workout. Therefore, at the end of each workout the AI Coach will ask you whether or not it was too easy, just right, or too hard. It is very important that you provide honest feedback so that your training plans can be calibrated correctly. The AI Coach will also consider any notes that you add to your workout log when adapting your training plans (although English is the only language currently supported).
By providing honest feedback and being persistent with your training routine, we will work together to give you the best chance to achieve your goals and lead a happy and healthy life.
The Safety of Your Personal Data
As much as we strive to help you reach your fitness goals and lead a healthy lifestyle, we work even harder to protect your personal data. Your data is encrypted with several layers of protection and is not sold to third parties.
If you would like to delete your data, simply open the app, go to Settings, and delete your account.